[Error Message] Unable to read partition information from this disk - when trying to create a new datastore
When adding a new datastore, sometimes the operation fails with one of the following messages:
- Unable to read partition information from this disk
- The hard disk is blank.
- Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to update disk partition information.
Steps to fix the issue:
1. Connect to the ESXi console
2. Run fdisk -l to get the list of disks, and identify the one having the issue (you can use the vSphere client window when trying to add a new datastore and the operation fails, the disk name should also be there). Let’s say the disk having the problem is this one:
3. Use dd utility to clear the partition table and MBR of the disk
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disks/naa.6a4badb0274d6600184619f909a8d311 bs=512 count=34 conv=notrunc
4. Try again to add a datastore using this disk. The operation should be successful.
This is basically a simplified version of the guide here:
USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!