[Guide] Android Factory Data Reset (Powered Off)
Factory Data Reset (Powered Off) - DROID MAXX 2 BY MOTOROLA
A factory data reset may help with a blank or frozen screen, apps crashing or freezing, keypad/touchscreen problems, can't hear, device making noises, can't make or receive calls, and device won't sync.
WARNING To avoid being locked out of your device for 24 hours, it's strongly recommended to review the following before attempting to perform this reset:
- For devices with Android Device Protection enabled:
- It's imperative the GoogleTM email address and password are known before performing a reset on the device.
- If the password for the Google account used to enable Device Protection on the device can't be remembered:
- Attempt to log in with any Google account previously used on the device.
- Reset the password.
Once reset, the device won't accept the new password and can't be used for 24 hours. After 24 hours, a device restart must be performed to verify the waiting period has been met.
Perform a factory data reset only if absolutely necessary as it removes all data including:
- Google account
- System and app data
- App settings
- Downloaded apps
- Media (Music, pictures and videos, etc.)
An alternate reset method is available if the device can be powered on and is responsive.
- Ensure the device is powered off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button.
- While continuing to hold Volume down, press and release the Power button but continue to hold Volume down until the boot mode screen appears.
- From the Bootloader selection screen (image of an Android with Start), select RECOVERY MODE.
Utilize the volume buttons to cycle through the available options and the power button to select.
- From the Android system recovery screen (image of an Android with an exclamation mark), do the following to display the menu options:
Ensure the steps below are performed in a timely manner. If power is held too long (longer than 5 seconds), the device resets.
- Press and hold the Power button.
- While continuing to hold the Power button, press the Volume Up button then release all buttons.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Select Userdata + personalized content.
Allow several seconds for the factory data reset to complete.
- Select Reboot system now.
Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.
To setup the device after the reset has completed, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.